Decades Of Combined Experience, Thousands Of Cases Settled
Do You Know the Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Written & Edited By: Cecily Johnson, Legal Assistant & Public Relations Assistant Manager
In certain workplace environments, there is a chance of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. This is highest in small, enclosed spaces with little ventilation, and especially when certain types of tools are being used. For instance, workers in shipyards can be poisoned accidentally while making repairs.
The problem is that you cannot see, taste or smell carbon monoxide. If you don’t know it’s being produced or released, then you don’t know that you’re in danger. That’s why it’s so important to understand the potential symptoms. As soon as you notice them, you need to seek an open, ventilated space — and possible medical treatment.
The Top Signs of Trouble:
Exactly what symptoms you have can vary, but there are a few of the most common ones that are reported by the (cdc.gov):
- A headache that continues to get worse
- A general feeling of dizziness
- Vomiting, nausea or an upset stomach
- A feeling of weakness
- Chest pain
- Disorientation and confusion
Many people say that it feels like they have the flu. If you start to feel sick and out of sorts with no explanation for it, you may be inhaling carbon monoxide without knowing it. Do not underestimate this condition or the danger you’re in.
What To Do If You or a Loved One Have Suffered From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning While on the Job
If you are poisoned while on the job, it could lead to serious illness and injury, even if you get out and get medical help. Be sure you know what rights you have to workers’ comp after such an event, especially if your medical bills are high and you can’t return to work right away. Talking to an experience attorney can help you understand your options.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2021, July 1). Frequently asked questions. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved September 23, 2021, from https://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm#:~:text=The%20most%20common%20symptoms%20of,pass%20out%20or%20kill%20you.